CAYM's Mentor Orientation
CAYM's Mentor Orientation Package can only obtained as part of our online or onsite engagement programs.
Proper mentor orientation and training is one of the essential best practices of mentoring. CAYM's Mentor Orientation Package will help you prepare your mentors to build life transforming relationships with youth. At the same time, each mentor will be challenged to new heights of personal and spiritual development. Here's one recommendation from a college professor:
Robin Antepara, PhD. Lincoln Memorial University
This training package is designed so that you will be able to teach it yourself. It can modify it for your own community and program mission. If you do not want to teach all the sessions, a DVD is included with teaching from leading mentoring experts. Here's what's included
- PowerPoint Presentation: You can edit this presentation to focus on the vision and goals of your own program.
- Teacher's guide
- Participant's guide (In Microsoft Word format)
- Training DVD: Made in conjunction with Prison Fellowship's Angel Tree program.
Part I: Introduction
- Mission, Vision and Values
- Overview of Mentoring
- Biblical Basis for Mentoring
- Worldview: Understanding yourself and your mentee
- Listening Skills
- Developing Empathy
- Actions Speak...
- ...Louder Than Words
- Sharing Your Faith
- What Does My Match Need?
- What Will We Do Together?
- How Do I Relate to the Parents?
- How Do I Draw Boundaries?
- What If Something Goes Wrong?
- How Will the Mentoring Program Help Me?